Saturday, July 13, 2013

Let it carry you away...

Spend an evening at the theatre and you'll wish you'd never have to leave. Thursday evening was spent at the Queen's Theatre on the West End of London. My class was going to see Les Mis, which has been being performed at the Queen's Theatre since 2004.

If you've never had the chance to attend live theatre, I highly recommend it. It definitely isn't for everyone, so I won't be offended if it isn't your thing. For me, though, there's something about how the cast and crew come together with the audience for a couple of hours of magic. I had avoided Les Mis for a long time because it was something everyone talked about and therefore it just had to be cool. I know...very hipster of me. Either way, I gave in when Hollywood released it's musical version this past fall.

I feel in love with the story right away. As a parent, I connected with Fantine and Valjean and their sense of responsibility and potential loss. My heart actually aches every time I watch this story now, because I am such an emotional mess. Seeing the play performed live in theatre was so much more incredible. Take a listen to this podcast to see why.



Applause and introductory music recorded at the Queen's Theatre on 7/11/2013 in London, UK.
Background music clips from the Les Miserables soundtrack released by Universal, copyright 2012, "Look Down," "The Bishop," "Valjean's Soliloquy," and "At the End of the Day."

No comments:

Post a Comment