Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Bells of St. John

When visiting a new place, you can take a couple of approaches to navigation. (1) You could wing it, and hope you wind up where you're going. This is a great method for people for whom the journey is much more important than the destination. (2) You could pay someone (cabbie or tour guide) to take you where you're going. This is great when the destination is your primary concern.

I prefer a mix of the two, because (let's face it) there is so much to see and experience on the way to where you're going. This experience in London is nothing short of eye-opening because I can't use my mobile (that's how they say cell phone) unless I want to pay ridiculous data fees. No thank you!

So what do you do? Maps. Signs. They're everywhere. All you have to do is look around and not be afraid of taking a chance.






 At the end of the day, it's most important to take a moment and enjoy where you've been, because maybe...just maybe, those signs took you to the top of the world.

The building immediately to my left is the Gherkin.
Those signs might also lead to my newest travel companion, Lizzie, who will help me tell my daughter what I've been doing once I get home.

The building in the background is the Shard,  where the Doctor encountered the Great Intelligence for the second time.



No comments:

Post a Comment