Sunday, July 28, 2013

Let's get moving!

Today's photography challenge was all about capturing the movement of cars, buses, or bicycles in the streets on London, but all I could think about was moving on and going home. For most of us, home will happen tomorrow, but I have an overnight layover, so won't actually be home until Tuesday. The wait is just killing me. I've had fun and met some awesome people, but it's time to go home.

So, of course, you're probably wondering what I've learned and what I've taken away from the program...Well, here's an annotated list of suggestions for anyone considering the program in the future.

1. $$$ - The information packet you get from FSU will recommend that you can get by on about $1,500 for food, a few souveniers, and a few small side trips. I would recommend you either double this amount or be VERY careful about how much money you spend where. We visit a lot of places with lot of pretty good shops and there's always the occasional coffee, ice cream, or soda you'll need. Also, there are no conveniences provided in the flats except a cleaner for the stove top.  You'll probably have to buy everything else.

2. Weather - Guess what? It's not always 70 degrees in London in July. We were here in the middle of an intense heat wave this summer, so we all had plenty of clothes for cold, dreary London, but not nearly enough for hot, sweaty London.

3. Side trips and assignment due dates - We have lots of free time in the evenings, so I would recommend getting as many of your assignments done early so that your weekends are completely free. Why? So you can go other places. Travel from the UK via train or plane to other parts of the EU is really easy and not that time intensive.

4. Your camera - Be comfortable with it. Know it backwards, forwards, and inside out. If you buy a new one for the program, give yourself the chance to play with it for at least 5 hours before you get here.

5. Shoes - bring a variety of comfortable walking shoes, casual sandals and flats, and dressier options. I'm not a heel person, and only brought 3 pairs of shoes. I really did wish I would have had a pair or two more of dressier flats with me for variety's sake.

6. Shower caddy - There's usually not much storage room in the shower itself, so having a caddy would be very helpful even if you're storing that caddy in the bathroom itself.

7. Flat assignments - Remember that you are not an undergrad, but that the majority of the students living in the FSU study center are undergrads. And most are not 21 (legal drinking age in the UK is 18). Also, if you would NOT be comfortable being housed with an undergrad male, DO NOT indicate that you are okay with coed or have "no preference" in housing assignments. When they say coed, they mean that you will be housed in the same flat with men and women. And you would likely be housed with undergrad men and women. So if you are at all unsure and unwilling to take the risk, indicate same gender preferences.

8. Orientation - Unless they change something, there will be an orientation meeting in the afternoon of the day you arrive. So, yes, you will travel for at least 10 hours (including to/from airports), have to move your stuff into your flat, and then go sit for about an hour and listen to things you will likely forget. Bring a notepad and take notes. Your brain will not be functioning.

9. Packing - Try to pack so that a good portion of your bag coming to London is either empty, or re-arrangeable so that you can fit souveniers in it. You will likely buy some cool stuff. Plan for it to avoid overage charges on your way here.

10. Arriving in and leaving London - I highly recommend you coordinate with others in the course for a minibus or private pick up from the airport. Split between four people, the service from London Heathrow to the Study Center was about 21GBP. With the taxi and Connect and/or Express from Heathrow, you pay about the same, but have a bigger headache. Take the easy way out. It is ABSOLUTELY worth it. How do I know? Because I took the Connect and a taxi. Stress. Not good.

11. Walking around London - If you are in the street, you're wrong. Period. London drivers 'own' the road and pedestrians do not belong there. Be careful when crossing the street.

I'll have more advice later, but now I have to pack to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment